Monday, October 12, 2009

10/12/2009

***today is a 6. i lost my cool with ava, but i had a bit of a breakthrough at therapy. i realize i have to change my perspective about myself and my kids. instead of "oh no, not again. i can't do this," i need to say to myself "i know this is coming. i can handle this." i need to remember they are cavemen, and i can't reason with a caveman! i also have to remember that i need to teach them how to deal with their negative emotions, and every outburst is a teachable moment. i should show them how to work through their feelings in an appropriate way, and not lead with the example of my PPD.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    First, hats off to you for blogging about your journey. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it is a roller-coaster throughout recovery. I am a survivor of PPD and now a therapist that treats PPD exclusively. I am commenting on this post specifically because it really reinforced what I believe worked for me and what seems to work with the women I see. I find that once we surrender to the PPD, not fight it but work with it and adjust ourselves to the symptoms, some of the battle and frustration drift away.
    Thank you for blogging. If it is okay, I would like to direct others to your journey.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure stephanie, that's fine. i was just doing this for myself, and never really thought anyone would read it. in fact, i think it's a pretty boring blog! but if you want to share, by all means, i'm cool with that. and thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete